The task force was comprised of community leaders with diverse perspectives and expertise. The volunteer group focused on evaluating the zoo’s elephant exhibit, the health and care of its three elephants, and the value of the zoo’s program and exhibits to the zoo’s mission of education and conservation.
The task force was chaired by Jan Hendrickson, a former chair of the zoo’s board of directors, and Jay Manning, an environmental attorney and former chief of staff to Governor Christine Gregoire. Members are listed below. Organizational affiliation is listed for identification purposes and does not imply endorsement.
- Marianne Bichsel, founder and president of Bichsel Public Affairs and former senior advisor to Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels
- Grant Degginger, chair of the Construction and Environmental Practice Group at Lane Powell PC in Seattle and former Bellevue mayor and city council member
- Gene Duvernoy, president of Forterra, a regional organization dedicated to land conservation
- Ellen Ferguson, director of community relations at the Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture
- Annette Laico, executive director of the Progressive Animal Welfare Society (PAWS)
- Jeff Leppo, a law partner in the Seattle office of Stoel Rives LLP, specializing in environmental, wildlife and natural resources law, and related complex litigation
- Rob Liddell, M.D. medical director for Center for Diagnostic Imaging Seattle, WPZ board member and founding member of WPZ’s conservation committee
- Jeannie Nordstrom, community volunteer, YWCA board of directors
- Bryce Seidl, president and chief executive officer of the Pacific Science Center
- Andrew Shouse, Ph.D. associate director of the University of Washington Institute for Science and Math Education
- Bryan Slinker, D.V.M, Ph.D, dean of the college of veterinary medicine at Washington State University
- Lyn Tangen, former senior director, corporate communications, for Vulcan Inc., former legal advisor to Mayor Paul Schell
- Suzanne Walsh, senior program officer in education at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Bichsel, Leppo, Liddell and Slinker are members of Woodland Park Zoo’s board of directors.
The task force named a separate panel of experts to focus on the health and care of Woodland Park Zoo’s elephants. Slinker headed that panel.
- View full biographies of the task force members.
- Contact the chairs.